Saturday, January 29, 2011

"Thanks, fella."

A few posts back, I posted the song Moanin' Low, sung by Billie Holiday.  In trying to find it again, I came across a clip of the noir film Key Largo.  I've never seen it. I've actually never heard of it.  I watched the clip because I love black and white films; there is something really captivating about them, I think.




I instantly fell in love with this scene. It is incredibly painful to watch.  I don't know any part of the film's storyline, but that straining, pathetic voice offers its own .  The notes warble sometimes shamefully and sometimes humorously, stretching themselves to fill yet another bar.  There's intense cruelty and compassion floating in the little room too, stifling everything in it. All of it builds up to Bogart taking a slap to the face. "You're welcome."  It's perfect.

 In other news, my dorm room has finally emerged from the depths of subarctic temperatures thanks to the friendly maintenance man from physical plant.  Unfortunately, it appears to have caught a nonstop flight to the Gobi desert.  It's probably alarming that I could reheat food using only the top surface of my radiator if I had to. Well, I knew there was a good reason for not bringing a microwave this year. 


*Update: The YouTube clip is no longer available, so I suggest you rent and watch the film. It's worth it.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment