Thursday, January 27, 2011

The future of hearing.

Over winter break, a trip to the audiologist took an exciting turn. I finally opted for a new set of hearing aids.  These ones are behind-the-ear, and they can supposedly detect a higher range of frequencies.  They even play strange little happy tunes when they power on. But that's the boring part (for you, anyway).  I also left with a small remote, to be hung on a lanyard around my neck or tucked carefully into my coat pocket.

The Oticon streamer.

The little device, according to my audiologist, will let me connect via Bluetooth to my cell phone, television, and mp3 player.  I nearly jumped out of my chair in excitement.  Besides the fact that I feel like a crazy bionic future being, I don't have to deal with the annoying monopoly of the earbud style headphones. Also, I can answer my phone in my head.

"Hold on guys, I've gotta take this call."

So far, it's been really interesting to use.  I'm getting a new Bluetooth enabled mp3 player sometime soon, but for now I've been using a small cord that connects via the headphone jack to my old one.  The phone bit has led to some very awkward moments.  Today I was giving a presentation to a class.  My phone was in my pocket, and my streamer remote was in my purse a short distance away.  My ears started ringing mid-way through my presentation from a confirmed butt-dial, and there was really no subtle way to address it.  No one else can hear it, and I don't think any comments alluding to, "the ringing and voices in my head," would have been very successful.  I attempted to ignore it, but I ended up just awkwardly pausing every time the phone rang.  Still, I'm really glad to have access to the technology.  Hopefully, they continue to develop it.  Until then, I guess it's like my friend told me earlier-
"Dana, you're like...the future!"

No comments:

Post a Comment