Sunday, May 29, 2011

Time lords and bow ties.

It has been a very confusing past few days. I mostly sat around wondering about life, the universe, and everything.

All of that turned out to be easy fare compared to my first Dr. Who episode. My friends invited me to watch with them, but the episode was the second of a two-parter in which each character battled his/her clone with a dashing British accent and a lot of tweed. I was hopelessly, hilariously lost. We realized afterwards that it probably wasn't the best starter episode.

On a side note, the implied seriousness of this article makes me giggle. Dr. Who's look is apparently a BFD over in the UK. One eager commenter offered his input on the Doctor's bow tie:
There is a theory about bow ties which explains why they're so unsexy. A regular long tie is a phallic symbol, both suggesting the phallus and directing the eye south, and below the belt. The shape and dimensions of a bow tie however reflect the shape of the mouth, suggesting that what the wearer has to say is of more value than the contents of their pants. (This perhaps explains the popularity of bow ties with academics)
I think there's also a theory about Freudian psychology applied to things-that-don't-matter, which explains why it's so unsexy.


 "I used to wear a neck tie, but it just got too distracting. 
I mean, I'm up here guys."



I moved back onto campus yesterday. My room is in a frat house, and I'm loving it. Owing to poor cooking skills and a kitchen out of some other decade, I am living on (addicted to) hummus and bell peppers. I start research on Tuesday. Until then I'll be relaxing in boredom with The Black Keys.


No comments:

Post a Comment